Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hey brain...GO TO SLEEP!

Why do I wake up in the middle of the night with a flood of thoughts in my brain? Some of you have probably experienced the same. Well it happened to me this morning. I woke up at 4 am with thoughts about what I'm going to say to JIVE students at my first official gathering with them. I was also consumed with thoughts about why I am a Christian. It probably didn't help that I watched The God's Aren't Angry (a recorded lecture/sermon of Rob Bell) last night. It left me with lots questions about God. That is for a later blog post.

If you suffer from thought overload when you're trying to go to sleep, or if you wake up in the middle of the night with the urge to put your thoughts down on paper (like I do at least a couple times a week) I think I have the answer to why. My answer comes in the form of a question or three. How much time do you spend with your thoughts during the day? Do you have regular time set aside each day or week to decompress and journal your thoughts? Do you take regular time to sit before God and examine your life? Maybe we lose sleep because bedtime is the only time we have to decompress. I really believe that every person should examine their lives and be alone with their thoughts on a regular basis. I find that when I have this regular time I actually sleep better. I'm able to go to bed without stressing over what's going to happen when I wake up. Give yourself time to fully express yourself while you're scheduled to be awake. 

I'm sure I could do a much better job explaining this, but I've been up since 4 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment